Kid: "What is death?"
Father: "Death is a natural physical change for all living things. Death overtakes the human body and it continues to develop through the processes of declining and decaying.
In Al Qur'an states:
- "Does man think that we shall not assemble his bones? Yes, surely, yes, we are able to restore the very shape of his fingers." (Al Qur'an surah 75:3,4)
- "We have ordained death among you, and We are not to be overcome, so that We may change your state and make you grow into what you know not."
(Al Qur'an surah 56:60-61)
Kid: "Is death the same as sleeping?"
Father: "Yes, Death is exactly like sleeping. The period between death and resurrection passes like one night of sleep. Death brings an end to our temporary life on this earth. It is occasion of sorrow and grief for the loved ones of the deceased. In Islam, people mourn by reciting Al Qur’an and prayers for the dead."
In Al Quran states:
"Allah is the One who puts you to death during the night, and knows even the smallest of your actions during the day. Allah resurrects you every morning."
(Al Qur'an surah 6:60)
Kid: "How is the situation inside the grave?"
Father: "When one dies, soul is taken off from the body; and then, the soul is kept in "Barzakh" for a period of time. Barzakh is the temporary place where a person enters into this from the time the soul leaves the body, to the time of resurrection.
After the burial, the people return home, then 2 angels, Munkar and Nakeer, will come in the grave. Those Muslims, who led good lives and obedient to Allah, will rest in comfort in the Barzakh, awaiting the Day of Judgment. Those Muslims, who led bad lives, will be punished severely in the Barzakh."
In Al Qur'an states:
- "(In falsehood they will be) until, when death comes to one of them he says "oh my Lord send me back (to life), in order that I may work righteousness in the things I neglected" by no means! It is but a word he utters and before them is a "partition" (barrier-Barzakh) till the Day they are raised up".
(Al Qur'an surah 23:99-100)
- "O soul who is at rest, return to thy Lord, well-pleased (with Him), well-pleasing (Him). So enter among My servants, and enter My garden."
(Al Qur'an surah 89:27-30)
- In the Quran emphatically asserts that death is not the final end but a gateway to a different kind of life: We mete out death among you that We may transfigure you and make you what you know not. And verily you know the first creation. Why then do you not reflect.
(Al Qur'an surah 56: 61: 63)
- And they say, what! When we have become bones and dust shall we indeed be raised up a new creation. Say thou: Be ye stones or iron or a substance still more improbable in your hearts (to be restored to life). But they will say; Who shall bring us back? Say thou: He who brought you into being for the first time.
(Al Quran surah 17:49-51)
- "There is no other than life in this world. We live and die and nothing destroys us but time."
(Al Qur'an surah 45: 24)
- "The great horror shall not grieve them."
(Al Qur'an surah 21: 103)
Kid: "Why do people afraid of death?"
Father: "People do not want to die, it is because that the world is very pleasure life for them. As Muslim, we learn that Islam teaches us that death can arrive at any time. Only Allah knows when His servants will die. Death puts an end to human body but it does not destroy our soul. The soul is taken away the angel Malakul Maut (‘Izra’il or Azrail) to Allah. "
Kid: "Why do we have to believe life after death?"
Father: "It is important because:
- to encourage man to do good and restrains him from doing evil.
- to teache us that the inner worth of man (good deeds such as salah, fasting, charity) will survives forever even after death, rather than the outward appearance (such as wealth, position, beauty, or education)."
The Qur’an repeatedly tells us that those who believe and do righteous deeds will be greatly rewarded in the afterlife, while those who disbelieve and do bad deeds will be severely punished.
Believing in life after death gives meaning to our life, for it tells us that this life is only a test and preparation for an eternal life.
Believing in life after death encourages a person to lead a good life on earth,
Kid: "What will happen if we don't be good?"
Father: "Allah will punish who do not do good deed in their life."
Those who have believed and acted righteously will be made happy in a splendid Garden. Those who disbelieved and rejected Our Signs and the meeting of the Hereafter will be brought face to face with punishment.
(Al Qur'an surah 30:15-16)
Kid: "Do you think someone will angry to angel of death because the angel will take his soul from his body?"
Father: "Allah already plans about how someone will die. Allah will make a cause how someone will die. For instance, he dies because of heart attack or because of accident or because of sick. This person dying is not because all of above. It is just because his life time in this world stop in here. When the angel come to the person who will die, ready or not that person has to say "Yes, I am ready to die."
The Qur'an says:
"Everyone shall have to die." (3:185)
Kid: "What should we say when hearing Muslim die?"
Father: We have to say, "Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rojiun."
The story above came from the kids when they saw the janazah one of our father's friend who just passed away in the hospital.
My kids could not believe to see this.
They saw him everyday in masjid for salah jamaah, especially in Isha.
Sometimes, the man gave the kids alot of candies or sweet.
The kids feel so sad. He returned to Allah because he was very nice man.
May Allah(SWT) forgives him, showers with His mercy upon him, bless his family with patient, and strengthen their Iman...Aamiin Allaahumma Aamiin.
When our kids were facing this kind of situation, we should remind them about how important doing good deeds in this life, such as:
- Telling the kids that everything in this world will die.
- Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajiun.
To Allah we belong and truly to Him we shall return.
(Surah Al Baqarah, 2: 155-156)
- "To Allah belongs whatever is in the heavens
and whatever is on the earth.
And to Allah will [all matters be returned]."
(Al Quran 3:109)
- Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajiun.
- The important of salah five times a day in the right time,
- The important of giving charity to poor and orphans,
"Verily, Allah does not look to your faces and your wealth,
but Allah looks to your heart and to your deeds."
(Sahih Muslim Book 32 Number 6221)
- The important of fasting in Ramadhan, salah sunnah, Hajj, and other good deeds.
- The important of reading, learning, and memorizing Al Qur'an.
- The important of listening and be nice to parents and all human beings.
"You shall do good to your parents and to the near of kin and to the orphans and the needy."
- The important of being nice to people and your environment.
- Making alot of doa for yourself and other Muslim.
"Rabbana'ghfirli wa li walidayya walil-Mu'minina yawma yaqumul-Hisab."
"Our Lord! Forgive me and my parents, and (all) the believers on the Day when the reckoning will be established."
(Al Qur'an, surah Ibrahim 14:41)
We went to go to masjid on that Friday for salah Jumuah and after that we went to funeral home for the ghushul the janazah.
Seeing the janazah is very good for us to remind that how important to do good deeds all the time. It also give you reward for accompanying the process of funeral, as you can read the hadith below.
Narrated Abu Huraira (Radi Allah Anhu): Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu- alleihi-wasallam ) said, "(A believer) who accompanies the funeral procession of a Muslim out of sincere faith and hoping to attain Allah's reward and remains with it till the funeral prayer is offered and the burial ceremonies are over, he will return with a reward of two Qirats. Each Qirat is like the size of the (Mount) Uhud. He who offers the funeral prayer only and returns before the burial, will return with the reward of one Qirat only."
[Sahih Bukhari: Volume 1, Book 2, Number 45]
This video is very good reminder for all of us,
Other useful links are:
Our life's time is so short.
May Allah guide us in the right path, let us enter Jannah, and save us from the Jahannam.