(Surah Al-Qamar : 17)
First of all, I want to share my experience in teaching the kids to memorize Al Quran. Insha Allah, the kids will love to read and learn more about Al Quran.
I am sure that everyone has different way of teaching the kids. I am not expert on this, but I would like to share it with others what I have been teaching for my kids and the others kids who come to my house. We know that each kid is special and different. Some kids can learn faster than other. For the kids who are not Arabic speaking is not easy to learn and memorize Al Quran.
For my kids, Arabic is their second language after English.
'Aisha radi-Allahu anha reported that the Messenger of Allah (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said:"A person who recites the Qur'an, and reads it fluently, will be in the company of the obedient and noble angels, and he who reads the Qur'an haltingly and with difficulty will have a double recompense." [sahih al-Bukhari and Muslim].
I think, it is One of the miracle of Quran that we, including the kids, can memorize Book of Allah, Al Quran. I never heard people can memorize other than Al Quran.
We, as parent, has the responsibility to teach our kids. If we can not teach them, you have to find the teacher for them to learn.
At home, you should ask your kids to read Al Quran together. We always read Al Quran at night or in the morning. Sometimes, we learn together the meaning of the surah that we have been read. Alhamdulillah, the kids can khattam/finish reading Al Quran at least twice in one year. We want our kids love reading and learning Al Quran. And I want your kids, too. Insha Allah.
The mercy of Allah descends upon a house in which the Holy Qur'an is being recited and the angels of Allah enter that house to listen to the recitation of the Holy Qur'an. (reported by Abu Hurairah)
I will try to answer some questions below that my friends asked to me.
May Allah help us in teaching our kids. Ameen.
What, When, Where, and How to memorize Al Quran
What are the surahs that the kids need to memorize first?
The kids only want to memorize the short and easy surah for the first time, such as surah Al Fatihah and the last ten surah of Juz Amma (Surah An Nas, surah Al Falaq, surah Al Ikhlas, surah Al Lahab, surah An Nashr, surah Al Kafirun, surah Al Kawthar, Surah Al Maun, surah Quraish, ans surah Al Fil).
What are the books that we can use to teach the kids to read the Arabic?
There are several books that you can use to teach the kids learn to read the Arabic letters, such as:
1. Iqro 1-6 (from Indonesia)
2. Qaaidatun Noor (from Pakistan)
3. Kur'an Lisani Elifbasi (from Turkey). I like this book very much.
4. Others that you can find in Islamic Bookstores and Online Resources.
When do the kids start to memorize Al Quran?
You should start teaching to memorize the surah in young age (before 5) at least the kids know that surah by hearth and recognize the Arabic Alphabets.
Just think of it, when the kids start to memorize the ABC songs, the kids should memorize the Arabic Alphabets and some short surahs, too.
When is the good time for the kids to memorize?
I think it depends on the situation. But Most of the time, the good time to memorize is in the morning and before going to bed.
Where is the best place to learn?
In Masjid or at Home.
It is good if you can find teacher who can teach the kids everyday including Sunday or Saturday. The kids need support from their parent at home to memorize Al Quran.
You should always review their memorization.
Remember that the best teacher for the kids is their own parent.
If you can not find the teacher, you can do it yourself at home. If you need help you can find it the resources online. If you are not memorizing yet, you should memorize the surah first before teaching the kids.
How can we help the kids to memorize Al Quran?
It depends on the abilities of the kids.
1. The kids who can not read Arabic yet.
For age 3-6
If the kids do not know how to read then you should say the ayah clearly to them. You should do it many times around 10 to 15 times or more.
Try not to continue to the next ayah if the kids do not memorize the ayah that you just say it.
Keep focus on one ayah.
When they memorize the ayah, then you start teach them the meaning of that ayah. You can explain the meaning using their surrounding in their daily life in school or in house.
For age 6 and Up
If the kids just start to learn to read the Arabic, then let them read the transliteration Quran to help them faster in memorizing the Quran.
But don't forget once a while let them to read from Al Quran to memorize their surah. To let them get used to it the Arabic one.
2. The kids who can read Arabic very well.
For age 6 and Up
It is easy to memorize when the kids knew how to read the Arabic.
They will read Al Quran and memorize by themself. Our job is only to review when they finish memorize the surah.
How many ayah per day do the kids memorize?
Everyday I ask them to memorize at least one ayah, if they are doing well, I want them to do 2-3 more ayahs or maybe more.
For the kids who can read Arabic very well, they will do it at least one page a day. Yes, one page or more per day.
On the weekend, I ask the parents to review their kids memorization and I ask the kids to use the surah in their sholat.
Some suggestions that are good to remember are as following:
- the kids are easy to memorize and easy to forget. Please always review their memorization.
- each kid is special and different.
- learning Al Quran is about learning the manner/adab, too.
- learning is long process.
- memorizing Al Quran needs patient and alot of practices.
- you should give the kids special rewards each time they memorize one surah or one Juz.
- the Quran Memorization Contest is good to encourage the kids to learn more and more.
May Allah give you reward for helping the kids to learn and memorize Al Quran. Ameen.
Links that are useful to help memorizing and learning Al Quran:
1. Download/Listen MP3 Quran
You choose the Reciters from A-Z.
2. Rules of Recitation
3. Quran Transliteration
4.Qaaidatun Noor" Learn Arabic Quran
6. As-Sidq: Durusul Quran (Lessons of Quran)
7. Learn Quranic Arabic
8. Useful links Quran and Hadiths
9. Teaching Arabic Quran
10. Online Quran Reciter
11. Imaanstar: Juz 30
12. About Tajweed
13. An Index to Quran
14. Learn to read Quran in 10 lessons
15. Principles of Tafsir of the Quran
16. Quran Links
17. Quran Recitation Page
18. Rules of Memorizing Quran
19. Schedule for Memorizing Juz Ammah
20. Schedule for Memorizing Juz Tabaraak
21. Tafsir Ibn Kathir
22. Tajweed Guide in Arabic
23. The Quran & Modern Science
24. Understand the Quran the easy way
25. Quranic Science
26. Quranic Phonetic Exerciser
27. Memorizing Quran
28. Audio Islam
29. Recitors list
30. Qur'an Explorer
To watch the videos:
1. Children read Al Quran beautifully
Some Articles to read:
1. Learn Knowledge of The Noble Quran
2. Learn some short surah from Al Quran
3. The language of Islam: The Important of Learning Arabic.
To hear the lecture for this week:
1. Distractions during sholat
For Quran, Let's memorize surah Al Kafiroon and surah An Naba.
Surah Al Kafiroon:
1. Surah Al Kafiroon (No English)
2. Surat Al-Kafiroon(The Rejecters Of Faith)
3. Surah Al Kafiroon by boy
4. Sura Al-Kafiroon recited by Imam Shuraim (readable)*
5. Surah Al Kafiroon recited by Sheikh AbdulRahman sudais
6. Surah Al-Kafiroon
Surah An -Naba:
1. Ahmed Al-Ajmi Surat An-naba' + An-nazia'at
2. Qur'an Surah Naba (The Great News)
3. Sa'ud Shuraim-Surah An-Naba
4. Abu Bakr Ash Shatri - Surah Naba' (Beautiful!!)
5. Surah An-Naba' (The Great News)
The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said:
“Whoever eats onions, garlic or leeks, let him
not approach our mosque, for the angels are annoyed
by the same things that annoy the sons of Adam.”
(Reported by Muslim)
For Islamic Studies, I would like to review about basic of Islam.
Alot of the kids do not remember what Islam is.
I. Five Pillars of Islam.
1. Saying Sahadah. 2. Sholat. 3. Zakat. 4. Sawm/Fasting in Ramadhan. 5. Hajj .
II. Principles of Belief in Islam:
1. Belief in Allah. 2. Belief in Angel. 3. Belief in Books of Allah. 4. Belief in Messengers of Allah. 5. Belief in Qadr. 6. Belief in Akhirah.
Something to read are:
1. The Five Pillars of Islam
2. Principles of Islam
To watch the videos:
1. Islam is based on Five Pillars - by a small Child
2. Pillars of Islam for Kids (1)
3. 5 Pillars in Islam
4. 5 Pillars of Islam
5. Pillars of Islam
6. Principles and Pillars Of Islam
1. Brainormous, a site dedicated to fun and education
Providing a generous sampling of their products for free.
For age 7-10.
2. Houghton Mifflin Math Expressions gr K-5
3. Kid's Edu: Houghton Mifflin Math gr K-6
4. eMath Book gr K-6
For Languages Arts, Reading , and Spelling:
1. Kid's Place: Houghton Mifflin Reading gr 1-6
2. Kid's Edu: Houghton Mifllin English gr K-5 and gr 6-8
3. Houghton Mifflin Spelling and Vocabulary gr 1-6
4. Brain Food Word Puzzles Ages: 10 and up (Young readers may be able to do some of these activities with a little help from mom or dad.)
1. Try Science
Grade Range: K-12
2. Scientific Animation
Age Range: 14 and up (note: designed for college level biology students)
3. Science Technology Dr Bob Homepage
Age Range: 10 and up
This website was designed by a chemist to engage kids ages 10 and up in the
observation, investigation, and explanation of the things that happen around
us - science!
4. Houghton Mifflin Science gr K-6
5. Houghton Mifflin: Experinces Science for Students gr K-6
For Social Studies:
1. Geography Lesson Plans for age 5-18 (grades K-12)
For Virtual Field Trip:
1. Amazon Interactive
Let's go to take a virtual trip to the Amazon Rain Forest!
Explore the geography of the Ecuadorian Amazon through online games and activities.
2. A Tour of Your Brain
Age Range: 10 and up